Blogger news

Sunday, October 17, 2010

ART!!

I am so happy that I live in L.A right now; mind you I have moved around a lot in the past 10 years, I grew up here in L.A. and I thought it would be a good idea to move to Hawaii after high school.. after that I moved to Minot (North Dakota..brrr..), Dayton (Ohio… brrrr), Tampa (Florida---helllloo humidity!).. but nothing compares to LOS ANGELES… in everything--- traffic, restaurants, and MUSEUMS.. Anyone that knows me is that I love to take my boys to museums… and especially in October because in LA we have ARTwalks in the Miracle Mile and my favorite PASADENA ART NIGHT!!

I remember in elementary school we never did much but we went to the LACMA when the Frida Kahlo exhibit was brought to LA .. I was such a book worm and I remember some of my favorite Frida quotes:

Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?


I leave you my portrait so that you will have my presence all the days and nights that I am away from you.


I love you more than my own skin.

I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.


I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.


I paint self-portraits because I am so often alone, because I am the person I know best.


I tried to drown my sorrows, but the bastards learned how to swim, and now I am overwhelmed by this decent and good feeling.


Boy… those were so powerful to my young mind and now.. they are even more appropriate and why she is still one of my favorite artists.. it always amazes me what my boys have to say when they see art, they are awed and puzzled by what has evolved into art these days :) :

Darion: Mommy..umm..I could draw that (we were looking at a canvas that had three blue triangles on a white background)..

Darion: Mommy was Picasso sleepy when he drew that?

Jaden: Mommy… can we make stuff and put it on display too? (he was saying this while looking at a contemporary art piece)

Me: LAUGH

I can't wait to take them to a musical, a dance performance, and I can't wait to catch the look on their faces when they realize that they can do whatever they want to do because they see others living their dreams and creating art with their words, with their bodies, and instruments… the sky really is the limit.. and I remind myself that if they can dream big .. I can too :)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment